PHOTO OF THE WEEK: Columbia River Gorge

I know many of you have probably seen this photo before, but I've got to make due with what I've got. And, presently, I don't have access to my archives. When that happens, these posts should get pretty interesting. I've been to the Columbia River Gorge the last couple of springs and have grown rather fond of its wildlife and geology. This photo was taken on May 9, 2013. Interestingly, I have been taking a course called Origins here at college. It's basically a survey class of creation science. I was thrilled when they played a documentary about the Missoula Flood (the glacial flood that formed the Columbia River Gorge at the end of the Ice Age). It just made the place more alive and interesting to see exactly how cavitation (the sudden collapse of low-pressure bubbles) formed the giant pits dotted around the gorge. I marvel at the power of the waters in light of the car-sized boulders perched on the canyon's edge, places along its rim were massive waterfalls had once poured in, and the sheer scope of the gorge itself. Though it is a shockingly powerful natural disaster, it pales in comparison to that landmark geological event the global flood. And here we are today, overlooking the eroded edges and rich ecosystem. It is amazing how things can change so quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I too, think it is incredible the way water can change the ecosystems of an area and in a very short period of time. Another way is also through volcanoes or earthquakes. I'm reminded of the change the we were able to observe at Mt. St. Helens. That too holds an incredible story. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete