PHOTO OF THE WEEK: Gulf Fritillary


Here's another butterfly photo from Florida. This one, a gulf fritillary (Agraulis vanillae), was photographed on September 14 of this year (2013) at Big Lagoon State Park. It is one of the most beautiful, obvious of the butterflies in this area. I can't think of any other reason I photographed it. The caterpillars are nothing like the adults: thorny, dark, and generally deadly looking. The month of September really was a fabulous month for invertebrates down here. I was seeing all kinds of butterflies, caterpillars, and spiders. In fact, that month I was able to see my first green lynx spider. They are the coolest looking critters in the area but, due to the rainy weather, I didn't haul out my camera for a photograph. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible and beautiful butterfly. How big was it? Is it truly as red as it looks. Thanks for sharing another of God's wonderful creations. xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete