PHOTO OF THE WEEK: Northern Scorpion


The scorpion is one of those animals that you either love or you hate. This is the northern scorpion (Paruroctonus boreus), a placid species not known to ever sting people. But if someone did get stung, lab tests indicate that the sting is no worse than that of a bee. I've never picked up a scorpion before, but I've come pretty close. If I'd known what species this guy was when I was taking the pictures, I think I would have tried to handle him. Apparently, this is done by merely allowing the invertebrate to crawl onto ones hand and let him wander around. Just don't stick your finger into his back or, like a child striking out when you startle him, the scorpion will probably do what comes natural. As John Acorn the Nature Nut once said, "Scorpions; they look real cool, but nobody loves 'em much." I don't know what's not to love. This one was photographed at the Columbia River Gorge of Washington and Oregon on May 11, 2013 shortly after dawn.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool picture. I love the colour, The scorpions extremities seem almost see through. I agree with you, most creatures are not inherently vicious or vindictive, but they will protect themselves when feeling threatened. I am thankful that we can often get a bit closer in our observations of God's creation if were are careful. Thanks, Caleb.
    P.S. I too remember the Nature Nuts song about scorpions, that guy is a classic.

    ReplyDelete